News & Events

In Conversation, an exhibition of wood and metal sculpture, is on view at the Palmer Gallery, September 24-October 9, 2015

In Conversation, an exhibition of wood and metal sculpture and wall work by artists Sophia Healy and Andrea Woodner, will be on view at Vassar College’s James W. Palmer III Gallery beginning Thursday, September 24. An opening artists’ reception will be held in the gallery that evening, 5:00-7:00pm. The show runs through October 9 and is free and open to the public.

Healy and Woodner are lifelong friends who have collaborated together numerous times. In fact, Healy says she first began working on sculptures using wood and metal almost accidentally. “I was collecting things I thought were interesting for Andrea to make into sculpture. Then I decided to make them into sculpture myself.”

In Conversation is the result of that. The show features more than twenty works.

Healy holds an MFA from Bennington College, where she taught for many years. Her work has been widely exhibited and her sheetmetal works have been on view in various locations from 1990-2011. She is also the director of Trout Paper, a handmade paper workshop in White Creek, New York. Woodner, who makes her home in Millbrook and New York City, was a student of Healy’s at Bennington College. A sculptor, cellist, collector of drawings, horsewoman and dog lover, Woodner holds a master’s degree from Columbia’s Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation. In 1995, she founded the Design Trust for Public Space, was its first director, and has served as its President since its inception. In 2014, Woodner was inducted into Interior Design’s Hall of Fame with a special leadership award.

The Palmer Gallery is located on the first floor of Main Building and is open 11am-6pm, Monday – Saturday.

ABOUT THE JAMES W. PALMER III GALLERY
Situated between the North Atrium and the Retreat cafeteria, the James W. Palmer III Gallery is at the heart of the College Center addition to Vassar’s Main Building. Constructed in 1996, the gallery was named and endowed by the Palmer family in 2000 in memory of their son James, a member of the class of 1990. Serving as an exhibition space for artwork created within and beyond the Vassar community, the gallery displays art of diverse mediums, themes, and origins. 

Vassar College strives to make its events, performances, and facilities accessible to all. Individuals with disabilities requiring special accommodations must contact the Office of Campus Activities at least 48 hours in advance of an event, Mondays-Fridays, at (845) 437-5370. Without sufficient notice, appropriate space/and or assistance may not be available. For detailed information about accessibility to specific campus facilities, search for “campus accessibility information” on the Vassar homepage (http://www.vassar.edu).

Directions to the Vassar campus, located at 124 Raymond Avenue in Poughkeepsie, NY, are available at www.vassar.edu/directions.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Wednesday, September 9, 2015