News & Events

Exhibition of oil paintings by artist Eric Brown '90 opening on August 25, 2015

A new exhibition at the James W. Palmer III Gallery at Vassar College features oil paintings and works on paper by Eric Brown, an artist with long-time ties to the Hudson Valley. The show, Lost and Found, opens on August 25 and will be on view through September 16. This exhibition is free and open to the public.

Brown, a Vassar graduate from the class of 1990 and a former part-time resident of the area, is also the co-owner and director of Tibor de Nagy Gallery in New York City. The gallery is known for coordinating exhibitions that shed light on pioneers of contemporary painting, sculpture, and photography. While Brown has been painting for more than 20 years, he started to show his own work widely just a few years ago.

This show, Lost and Found, is comprised of more than twenty pieces of recent work, which is characterized by hard-edged lines and shapes. The title derives from Brown's own process as an artist. "I want to be lost when I start a painting. I paint until I find the thing that keeps me stimulated and entertained. It may be as simple as how two shapes meet or don't meet," Brown explains. "I look for surprises. It is a process of adding and subtracting. I want to get it to a place where like an engine turning over, it just goes. That's the found."

New York-based art critic Raphael Rubinstein praises Brown's work. "What is perhaps most engaging about Eric Brown's paintings is that in looking at them we are able to share the artist's sense of discovery, his visual delight and intellectual curiosity about what is happening at the end of his brush, in front of his eyes," he says. "And also how, rather than providing any sort of definitive resolution, each painting selflessly opens up space for the next one."

A closing exhibition reception will be held on Wednesday, September 16, 5:00-7:00pm, in the gallery. An exhibition catalogue, which includes an appreciation by Pulitzer Prize-winning poet John Ashbery and text by Raphael Rubinstein, is also available.

The Palmer Gallery is located on the first floor of Main Building and its summer hours are 11am-3pm, Monday--Friday. Beginning August 31, the gallery will resume its regular hours and be open Monday-Saturday, 11 am--6 pm.

ABOUT THE JAMES W. PALMER III GALLERY
Situated between the North Atrium and the Retreat cafeteria, the James W. Palmer III Gallery is at the heart of the College Center addition to Vassar's Main Building. Constructed in 1996, the gallery was named and endowed by the Palmer family in 2000 in memory of their son James, a member of the class of 1990. Serving as an exhibition space for artwork created within and beyond the Vassar community, the gallery displays art of diverse mediums, themes, and origins. 

Vassar College strives to make its events, performances, and facilities accessible to all. Individuals with disabilities requiring special accommodations must contact the Office of Campus Activities at least 48 hours in advance of an event, Mondays-Fridays, at (845) 437-5370. Without sufficient notice, appropriate space/and or assistance may not be available. For detailed information about accessibility to specific campus facilities, search for "campus accessibility information" on the Vassar homepage (http://www.vassar.edu).

Directions to the Vassar campus, located at 124 Raymond Avenue in Poughkeepsie, NY, are available at www.vassar.edu/directions.

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Posted by Office of Communications Thursday, June 4, 2015