News & Events

Works by artist and alumna Christina Teaglia ‘97 will be on view at the Palmer Gallery, August 15-September 6, 2011.

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY—Vassar College's James W. Palmer Gallery's will present a solo exhibition of works by artist and alumna Christina Teaglia ‘97 in conjunction with her 2011 Catwalk Art Residency for Vassar College Alumnae/i. Tenaglia is also the recipient of the 2011 Vassar College W. K. Rose Fellowship in the Creative Art.

This exhibition will be on view through Tuesday, September 6, in the Palmer Gallery located in the College Center of Vassar's historic Main Building. There will be an artist reception on Tuesday, September 6, from 5:00-6:30pm. Both the exhibition and reception are free and open to the public.

Tenaglia noted that she is “interested in the idea of gathering bits of information, especially when it is contradictory, confusing or ambiguous.” She said that in her work she is “exploring the way we deal with the mass of information that comes at us, personally and publicly, in bits and pieces - digitally, remotely, visually, from multiple sources at once.”

“Many of the forms in my work are based on things I see while driving - taking in information at a glance and recalling it later,” remarked Tenaglia. “I make mental notations of things that catch my eye so the objects are basically paired down to a detail or two, and often a composite of more than one thing. . . . By focusing on extracted information, I am interested in emphasizing what is left out.” She concludes, “Using forms that seem both familiar and unrecognizable, I want to create an awareness of the way we begin to fill in information that is absent. . . . I am exploring the place where an object or image crosses the line from being abstract to becoming a thing.”

About the Artist

Christina Tenaglia graduated from Vassar College in 1997 and from Yale University with an MFA degree in 2005, where she received the Barry Cohen Scholarship at graduation. In addition to her 2011 summer residency at Catwalk, Tenaglia also held a residency at the Vermont Studio Center in 2006. Her work has been included in group exhibitions at Vassar College; Yale University and Artspace Annex in New Haven, CT; Goliath Visual Space and Williamsburg Art and Historical Center in Brooklyn, NY; and Rawspace in New York City. 

About the Catwalk Art Residency

Catwalk is a historic residence that was the home of Hudson River painter, Charles Herbert Moore in Catskill, NY. Since 2004 James Palmer and his wife Purcell, an alumna of Vassar, have hosted the annual Catwalk Art Residency at their residence. Catwalk is located on the Hudson River on 60 acres and is directly north of Thomas Cole’s home Cedar Grove in Catskill, New York, and across from Frederick Church’s Olana.

The Palmers noted that as Catwalk is “too wonderful not to share with others,” they created the Catwalk Art Residency program to be “a special retreat for art making, collaborative projects, and scholarly discourse in a visually stimulating part of the country that has historically provided and continues today to provide significant inspiration to artists, cultural historians, writers and scholars” (http://catwalkartresidency.com/).

About the James W. Palmer III Gallery

Situated between the North Atrium and the Retreat cafeteria, the James W. Palmer III Gallery is at the heart of the College Center. Constructed in 1996, the gallery was named and endowed by the Palmer family in 2000 in memory of their son James, a member of the class of 1990. Serving as an exhibition space for artwork created within and beyond the Vassar community, the gallery displays art of diverse mediums, themes, and origins.  

Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations at Vassar should contact the Office of Campus Activities at (845) 437-5370. Without sufficient notice, appropriate space and/or assistance may not be available. Directions to the Vassar campus are available at www.vassar.edu/directions.  

Vassar College is a highly selective, coeducational, independent, residential liberal arts college founded in 1861.

Fall 2011 Schedule
The James W. Palmer III Gallery at Vassar College

Through Tuesday, September 6
Works by Christina Tenaglia ‘97
Artist Reception: Thursday, September 6, 5:00–6:30pm

Friday, September 9 – Saturday, September 24
Summerwork – Artwork by Vassar Studio Art Majors
Artist Reception: Wednesday September 14, 5:00–6:30pm

Thursday, September 29 – Sunday, October 16
Structure and Texture. An exhibition by the artists in the Long Reach Arts cooperative:
Mildred Cohen, Staats Fasoldt, Stacie Flint, Susan Fowler-Gallagher, Jose Gomez, Claudia Gorman, Rob Greene, Trina Greene, Robert Hastings, Carol Loizides, Basha Maryanska, Sherrill Meyers-Nilson, Ellen Metzger O’Shea, Carol Pepper-Cooper, Elisa Pritzker, Nancy Scott, Elayne Seaman, Michelle Squires, Marlene Wiedenbaum (www.longreacharts.com)
Artist Reception: Thursday October 6, 4:30–6:30pm

Thursday October 27 – Tuesday, November 22
Through the Student Lens – Photographs Of and By Vassar Students 1865-2011
Artist Reception: Thursday October 27, 5:00–7:00pm

Tuesday, November 29 – Friday, December 16
Guatemalen Forced Migration: A photo documentary by Manuel Gil and Oscar Gil
Artist Reception: TBA

Posted by Office of Communications Monday, August 15, 2011