News & Events

Photographs explore relationships, perception, and memory in Phyllis Crowley's "Shifting Realities" exhibition at the James W. Palmer Gallery. June 5-26, 2008

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY — Relationships, perception, and memory are examined in two series of twenty photographs – one in color and the other in black-and-white – for Vassar alumna Phyllis Crowley’s solo exhibition “Shifting Realities,” to be shown Saturday, June 7 through Thursday, June 26 in the college’s James W. Palmer Gallery. The New York Times, Washington Monthly, New Haven Register, Women’s World, and the Chicago Tribune have published Crowley’s photographs, and her work has been the subject of three recent exhibitions.

“Shifting Realities” at the Palmer Gallery coincides with Crowley’s fiftieth class reunion, and she will discuss her work at the gallery’s opening reception, on Saturday, June 7, at 4:30pm. Both the reception, from 4:00-5:30 on June 7, as well as the exhibition, are free to the public.

“The photographs in this exhibit began as two separate series with slightly different emphases,” explains Crowley. “In the [black-and-white] Earthly and Heavenly Bodies series I wanted to express ideas about relationships and different realities. While The Looking Glass color photographs focus more on perception and memory. My education taught me that everything correlates on some level of reality.”

Crowley’s recent solo exhibitions include “The Looking Glass” at the City Gallery, New Haven (2007); “Off Peak / New World” at Mark Murray Fine Art Painting, Manhattan (2007); and “Earthly and Heavenly Bodies” at 55 Mercer Gallery, Manhattan (2005). She has taught at Norwalk Community College, Quinnipiac College, and the University of Bridgeport, and is currently on the faculty of the Creative Arts Workshop, New Haven.

Posted by Office of Communications Monday, June 2, 2008